Palm Beach County School District Teachers
Earn Professional Development Credits Using SunSmart America™
The Teacher/School Nurse Training is for early childhood, primary and secondary teachers and school health nurses. It is an easy to follow interactive training that is broken into modules. These modules cover essential background information on skin cancer, sun protection and the importance of sun safety in schools.
The SunSmart America™ K-12 Curriculum is arranged in five cross curricular topics. Each topic contains Pre & Post-Test, Information Hand outs, Visual Handouts and Student Activities. These resources also include benchmarks associated with the Florida Comprehensive Assessment Test (FCAT) which links to the educational information and student activities.
To increase competencies and encourage innovation in teaching sun safety education.
- Work individually under the guidance of Eric Stern, Curriculum Development and School Improvement and the Richard David Kann Melanoma Foundation.
- Participate in and develop sun safety awareness and education throughout the school.
- Participate in e-mails to discuss the latest education updates regarding the SunSmart America™ Curriculum.
Directions: (As Should Be Administered)
- Teachers will go to www.melanomafoundation.com and click on the SunSmart America™ Training Tab. Teachers will register for and complete the Teacher/School Nurse Training BEFORE teaching lessons and administering activities from the SunSmart America™ Curriculum.
- After completing the Teacher/School Nurse Training, review and/or download the SunSmart America™ Curriculum that corresponds with the grade level of choice.
- Give your students a Pre-Test before each lesson and activity.
- Complete five SunSmart America™ Lessons & Student Activities (Choose 1 Lesson & 1 Student Activity from each of the 5 Topics - TOTAL = 5 Lessons + 5 Activities).
- Give your students a Post-Test after each lesson and activity.
- Submit the Pre & Post Test to Eric Stern who will submit to the RDK Melanoma Foundation.
- Submit student activities to Eric Stern who will submit to the RDK Melanoma Foundation.
- Complete and submit the Teacher’s Survey to Eric Stern who will submit to the RDK Melanoma Foundation.
- Once the requirements are submitted and reviewed the teacher will receive Professional Development Credits and incentives provided by the RDK Melanoma Foundation.
DEADLINES:(submissions should be made to Eric Stern PRIOR to the Deadline)
SunSmart America™ Teacher/School Nurse Training
Deadline: November 18, 2011 – Submit Confirmation Sheets for Quiz on Module 1; Quiz on Module 2; SunSmart America™ School Quiz & Final Quiz (these confirmation sheets will be emailed to the email address in which you registered for the training)
Topic 1 — Skin
Deadline: December 23, 2011 — Pre-Test, (1) Student Activity & Post-Test
Topic 2 — The Sun & The Earth
Deadline: January 27, 2012 — Pre-Test, (1) Student Activity & Post-Test
Topic 3 —Skin Cancer
Deadline: March 9, 2012 — Pre-Test, (1) Student Activity & Post-Test
Topic 4 — Sun Safety
Deadline: April 13, 2012 — Pre-Test, (1) Student Activity & Post-Test
Topic 5 — Tanning
Deadline: May 11, 2012 — Pre-Test, (1) Student Activity & Post-Test
Deadline: May 25, 2012
IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS, PLEASE CONTACT THE RICHARD DAVID KANN MELANOMA FOUNDATION AT (561) 655-9655 OR INFO@MELANOMAFOUNDATION.COM
SunSmart America Teacher Survey (Palm Beach County ONLY)
Click here to access SunSmart America ™ Resources
Click here to print PALM BEACH COUNTY PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT CREDIT INSTRUCTIONS